The Prague Municipal House with the west wing and the Christmas tree
The contact information:
Obecni dum, Namesti Republiky 5, 111 21 Praha 1, Czech Republic,
Ph: 420/222 002 101
Fax: 420/222 002 100
An art-noveau building is a national cultural monument. It was designed in 1905-12 by architects A. Balsanek
and O. Polivka and became the most significant edifice of the Prague art-noveau style. The independence
of Czechoslovakia from Austro-Hungarian Empire was proclaimed here on October 28, 1918.
The interior and exterior decoration is a work of many Czech prominent artists of that time.
Alfons Mucha, Manes, Svabinsky, Zenisek.
There are five halls in the building, restaurant and the central Smetana Concert Hall.
The building was build on the spot of former King's Court ( an occasional seat of the rulers).
The Municipal House is adjacent to Prasna brana - Powder Tower, which used to be part of Old Town